Internet Freedom

Just a quick post in support of Internet Freedom, and against the bill now in congress that would allow major Internet Service Providers to slow down connections to websites that have not paid their fee.  The Internet exists in a cyberspace that belongs to all of us.  I have no problem with ISP’s charging users for connection, as they do, and making a profit off of that.  But to charge at both ends, and to restrict in any way the information that is available to us on the Internet is, in my mind, something that should not happen.  The government should be in the business of protecting us from corporate predators, not in the business of selling the Internet to the highest bidder.  If you need more information, please see the article here:  http://telephonyonline.com/regulatory/news/bell_internet_coalitiion_042406/.

One admission I have to make.  I teach History via the Internet for my employer, Honolulu Community College.  HCC would not be able to afford to pay major providers should this threat become reality, and I do expect to see enrollments drop if this should occur.  I am not a disinterested party.  I don’t think any of us are.